Monday, September 24, 2012

The Bottle Rockets OSMF 2012

Brian Henneman

I went to see The Bottle Rockets at the Old Settlers Music Festival in April, 2012. I guess you could say I paid $80 to see this band. They were the main reason I even went to the festival. It was the lead singer that told me that night that Levon Helm had just passed away. They sang a Texas Tornadoes song for us Texans. Whoa! Am I a Texan, now? That's weird. Yeah, it was great. They came on right after Spacegrass w/ Tony Trischka played. The other acts following... I honestly can't even remember. I just remember a lot of beer and porta potties... Oh and a lot of rich people letting their hair down. I'll probably never go back to that festival. It's too expensive and it's gotten way too big. It used to be so much more intimate. It's where my daughter used to run and play in the creek with the other kids, but now they've blocked the creek off. She used to make little banjos and corn husk dolls, she even walked right backstage and chatted it up with Del McCoury and his sons. What an adventurous little girl she was. Anyway, the night ended with Iron & Wine, and the lead singer came out and sang an acapella number all by himself. There he was one man who brought this whole huge mass of people to silence, and all you could hear was his voice and crickets. It was quiet powerful. I watched their first 2 songs then I left. Eh. Iron & Wine, not so much my thing. But the Bottle Rockets, oh yeah, they were well worth it.

The Bottle Rockets, OSMF 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment